You've just done a tough workout that you know you'll be feeling tomorrow. Yay! But also, yikes. The good news is that there are few measures you can take to help ward off those jelly legs.
Video of the Day
We've partnered with Katie Dunlop of Love Sweat Fitness to bring you her favorite cool down — foam rolling. Regular foam rolling can help increase your flexibility and mobility, and it's also a great way to dig into those trigger spots, like your hips and shoulder blades.
3 Tips for Common Muscle Sorenes
1. Turn up the heat. Sit in a steam room, sauna, hot bath or take a nice hot shower. The heat will help your muscles relax.
2. Relieve the tension. A CMT (certified massage therapist) can work out muscle tension and help you be more aware of signals from your body.
3. Bring on the foam. Lattes are good too, but a foam roller can provide relief to your tired, aching muscles.
When to Pay Attention to Post-Workout Pain
You know that good kind of sore — those achy, post-workout muscles? It's called delayed-onset muscle soreness (DOMS). Not to worry, it's your body telling you that the work you've been putting in is taking hold.
However, if you feel pain that is more than muscle soreness, stop and take heed. We want you to push yourself and work hard toward your goals, but not to the point of injury. Don't let your ego or stubbornness put you on the sideline.
Always focus on proper form and safety. Learn how to identify different aches and pains so you'll know the difference between those you can safely keep working through and those that could be a serious warning sign.
Pain is your body's way of telling you, "Hey, ease off the throttle a little. You're pushing me a little too hard, and I don't want to get injured." (We're paraphrasing.) You need to be aware of your limitations and ensure that you've selected the proper activity for your fitness level. (Remember that whole thing about learning to crawl before you walk?)
How to Join the 30-Day Get Lean Challenge:
1. Make Being Healthy a Habit
Print out the Get Lean in 2018 30-day calendar, and use it each day to help you stay focused on your goals. Track each of your meals and snacks as well as your water intake and your physical activity. Then check off each box as you complete each task. Before you know it, it'll become habit!
2. Stay Motivated
Throughout the 30 days, we'll provide you with the tools and information you need to stay motivated and reach your weight-loss goals. Sign up for our daily newsletter or visit our homepage to get linked up with the Get Lean in 2018 Challenge Program, including:
- Daily motivational articles to keep you focused on your goal
- Nutrition and fitness advice, including recipes and workouts
- Real-time community support from thousands of LIVESTRONG.COM members
3. Get the MyPlate Calorie Tracker App
LIVESTRONG's MyPlate Calorie Tracker App makes it so easy to track your food and exercise, and tracking everything honestly is essential to your success.
Sometimes you may not even be aware of how many calories or carbs you consume in a day, but once you start tracking, it'll show you where the issues in your diet are. And that’s a good thing to get you on the road to getting lean and shedding that extra weight for good!
- Daily meals (breakfast, lunch and dinner) and snacks
- Exercise and activity
- BMI (Body Mass Index)
4. Connect With Us on Facebook
For daily support, motivation and camaraderie with LIVESTRONG.COM team members, join us in our Facebook Group for the 30-Day Get Lean in 2018 Challenge. We'll share daily recipes, tips, motivations, pictures and more! Plus, we'll answer all your questions. Connect with Katie on Instagram and for daily inspiration.
5. Learn More About Pain Management
- The Dos and Don'ts of Foam Rolling
- 10 Workout Moves You're Probably Doing Wrong
- How to Alleviate Back Pain in 11 Simple Moves
Readers — Are you joining us in the 30-Day Get Lean in 2018 Challenge? If so, what's your weight-loss goal? Have you ever done a weight-loss challenge group before? How did it go? Have you joined our LIVESTRONG.COM Challenge Group on Facebook? Leave a comment below and let us know!