Water makes up more than 60 percent of the human body, yet many people don't consume enough of it. Drinking enough water helps your organs function properly, hydrates your skin and can even help you control your appetite.
The importance of water is undeniable. Not only does it make up every organ, tissue and cell, it also:
- Controls hunger, which is often just thirst in disguise
- Increases performance of your body's systems
- Helps process and remove waste and toxins
- Regulates your body's temperature
So, are you drinking enough water? It's typical to drink water during meals, during and after workouts and when you're thirsty — that's when your body is really asking for it.
Read more: How to Tell If You Are Dehydrated
8 Ways to Raise Your Hydration Game
But what about when you're just not feeling thirsty? Here are some helpful tips to get you drinking more water.
- Eat your water. Although hydration comes mostly from the water and beverages you drink, quite a few foods contain a whole lotta agua. These foods include celery, tomatoes, oranges and melons, as well as broth-based soups.
- Keep water with you. Carry a reusable water bottle with you wherever you go so you can always hydrate.
- Stay cool. Freeze some bottles of water so you can grab one and enjoy ice-cold water all day.
- Make water taste better. Skip the soda and kick up your water's flavor without adding calories with a wedge of citrus. Or try one of these 12 delicious flavored water recipes.
- Always opt for water. Save money and calories by choosing H2O as your beverage at meals and when eating out. Stick to the same strategy any time you're offered a choice of beverage.
- Stick to a one-to-one ratio. If you're going to be drinking alcohol, make it a rule that you have to drink one glass of water for every alcoholic drink you consume. Not only will you stay hydrated, you'll help ward off a hangover the next day.
- Game-ify your water intake. There are devices and apps out there that help you track your water intake throughout the day. Make it your goal to hit your hydration level each day. Try MyPlate, Daily Water or Carbodroid.
- Create a habit. Tell yourself that you're going to drink a glass of water every time you either: sit down at your desk, are about to eat a meal or right when you wake up. Tying water intake to something you already do makes it more likely the habit will stick.
Whatever you do, steer clear of any beverages with added sugars, such as sodas, soft drinks, sports and energy drinks and fruit drinks. Choose wisely, track your water intake with LIVESTRONG.COM's MyPlate app — available on desktop and for iOS and Android devices — and quench your body's thirst.
Read More for a Pool of Water Knowledge
Thirsty for more? We've compiled even more helpful information and creative hydration ideas to make drinking water more fun and make sure you avoid dehydration. Check 'em out!
How to Join the Get Strong in 2019 Challenge
1. Sign Up for Daily Emails
There are two main places this challenge is taking place online — your inbox and our Facebook group (more on that in a second). So first, make sure you've entered your email to sign up for the Get Strong in 2019 Challenge. (Yep, even if you're already signed up for our regular daily newsletter.)
Every day, we'll be sending you your daily workout and a healthy recipe to try, along with fun extras like workout playlists, motivational quotes, self-care tips and other fitness and nutrition information to make 2019 your best (and healthiest) year ever!
2. Print Out Your Calendars
Isn't it so satisfying to check things off of your to-do list? Each day during the Get Strong in 2019 Challenge, you're accountable for two main things: working out and eating healthy.
To help keep you on track for the entire month, we created two calendars — one with each day's workouts listed and another with each week's nutrition goal and healthy recipes. Print them out and check off each workout and day of healthy eating as you complete it.
3. Join Our Challenge Facebook Group
For daily support, motivation and camaraderie with LIVESTRONG.COM team members, join our Facebook Group for the Get Strong in 2019 Challenge. We'll share recipes, tips, motivations, pictures and more! Plus, we'll answer all your questions.
4. Share Your Journey on Social Media
Are you on Instagram or Twitter? So are we! And we'd love to see photos and updates of your progress. When you post to social media, be sure to use the hashtag #GetStrongChallenge. That way, you can also connect with other Get Strong challengers!