This Halloween, put your sugar rush to good use and build a candy-themed HIIT workout based on your favorite treats. Pick three or four candies and run through their respective exercise (listed below) for 10 reps. Do four or five rounds total, resting 30 to 60 seconds in between.
Single-Leg Romanian Deadlift
- With a dumbbell in your right hand, stand with your left hand on your hip, feet hip-width apart.
- Very slightly bending your right knee, begin to lower the dumbbell toward the ground, raising your left leg back behind you at the same time.
- Lower until your left heel reaches hip height and the dumbbell is nearly touching the floor (you should feel this along your right hamstring).
- Return to standing by using your rooted hamstrings and glutes to lower your left leg and raise the dumbbell back up.
- Do 10 on each leg.
If you need a little extra balance help, keep your back leg on the ground, recommends Carolina Araujo, CPT, a New York-based strength coach. "Instead of raising and lowering one leg with each rep, bend your knee and come up onto the toe," Araujo says. "You still want a majority of your weight in the front, working leg but this will help your balance."
2. Heath Bar
Side Plank Dip
- Begin in a side plank position with your forearm on the ground supporting your body. Stack your feet and legs.
- With your free arm on your hip, dip your hips to the ground, hovering just about the floor or tapping it lightly, depending on your mobility.
- Press through your side-body (obliques) back to the side plank.
- That's one rep. Do 10 on each side.
If you struggle to maintain a side plank with good form, you can modify the exercise by staggering the feet one in front of the other, recommends Araujo. Or drop to the bottom knee (or both knees).
Side Lunge to Knee Drive
- With your arms at your sides, take a wide step to the left.
- Lean into the left leg and bend your knee until your it forms a 90-degree angle. Keep your back flat and chest out.
- Push off your left leg and once you reach standing, drive the left knee to chest height.
- Without placing your foot on the ground, return to the side lunge.
4. Candy Corn
- Begin in a high plank, maintaining a straight line from heels to hips to head.
- Bending the elbows at about 45 degrees from your ribcage, lower your chest until it nearly touches the ground.
- Push into your palms to return to the high plank.
Struggling with your push-up? You can bring your knees down to the ground to modify this exercise.
- Lie on the ground with your arms at your sides, legs extended out straight.
- Lift your shoulders off the ground, extending the arms forward until your upper body is nearly upright.
- At the same time, raise your legs to 45 degrees, keeping them as straight as possible. Your body will be in a V shape.
- Pause here for a moment before lowering back to the ground.