The 21-15-9 couplet is yet another, and while it may seem simple — there are only two exercises! — it's definitely not easy. This superset-style CrossFit routine is sure to have you sweating and reaching for your water bottle after only the first round.
21-15-9 Couplet At-Home CrossFit Workout
Before you jump in (literally), make sure you warm-up properly. Jumping jacks, inchworms and lunges are just a few exercises you can perform to get your body primed.
Get the perfect warm-up and cooldown for at-home CrossFit workouts.
The workout follows a classic couplet rep scheme: 21-15-9. You'll start with 21 goblet squats and 21 burpees, followed by 15 goblet squats and 15 burpees, then finally 9 goblet squats and 9 burpees. Between sets, rest for a minute or two before launching into the next round of squats.
Traditionally, you'll want to perform this workout for time to compete with the other athletes at your gym. If you're doing this couplet at home, track how long it takes you to complete the workout and try to beat your personal best next time.
Move 1: Goblet Squat
- Begin standing with your feet about hip-width apart.
- Hold either a dumbbell or a kettlebell at chest height, right below the collar bone.
- Tuck your elbows close to your ribs and keep them pointed down.
- Send your hips back and bend at the knees, lowering your body toward the ground.
- Keep your shoulders back and chest up as you squat.
- Pause once your thighs are parallel to the ground.
- Press into your heels and push your hips forward to return to standing
If you can keep proper form, deepen your squat below 90 degrees. Also, if you don't have a dumbbell or kettlebell handy, you can substitute with a gallon jug of water or a heavy book.
Move 2: Burpee
- Begin standing with your feet about hip-width apart, arms at your sides.
- Bring your hands to the ground in line with your shoulders and jump back into a high plank. Keep your body in a straight line from head to hips to heels.
- Perform a push-up, bringing your chest to the ground. Then, press back up to high plank.
- Step or jump your feet to your hands and jump up into the air, raising your arms above your head.
- Land with your knees bent and launch right into the next rep, bringing your hands to the ground again.
As you perform your burpees, you'll want to rebound quickly and perform the reps as quickly as possible (while keeping good form, of course).