If you're working out at home, you probably don't have a ton of elaborate equipment at your disposal. But you definitely don't need a whole arsenal of dumbbells and machines to get your glutes firing on all cylinders.
Built by Holly Perkins, CSCS, author of Lift to Get Lean, this circuit workout will strengthen your lower body and leave your glutes sore using just a towel. All you need to do is set a timer to 20 minutes and see how many rounds you can complete.
Video of the Day
Check out more of our 20-minute workouts here — we’ve got something for everyone.
1. Reverse Lunge With Arm Extension
- Stand with feet hip-width apart, one end of the towel in each hand.
- Step your left foot back a few feet and bend the left knee until it hovers just above the ground. Simultaneously bend the right knee to 90 degrees, keeping the knee behind your toes.
- As you lower to the ground, press the towel straight overhead.
- Straighten both knees and step back to the starting position, bringing your arms down.
- Repeat on the opposite side, stepping your right foot back.
- Each step counts as one rep.
2. Glute Bridge With Chin Tuck
- Start lying on your back with your feet flat on the ground, knees up toward the ceiling about a foot away from your butt.
- Wrap the towel around the back of your head and hold one end with each hand. Raise your head gently to tuck your chin. Hold this position throughout the exercise.
- Press into your heels and raise your hips toward the ceiling with a tucked pelvis.
- Pause at the top and squeeze your glute muscles before lowering with control.
"This move puts your head in the ideal position for a proper posterior pelvic tilt, putting your pelvis in the perfect position to maximize glute activation," Perkins says.
3. Static Bridge With Knee Tap
- Begin lying on your back with your feet flat on the ground about a foot away from your butt, knees pointing up.
- Press into your heels and raise your hips up toward the ceiling. Pause at the top of this motion.
- Raise your arms straight up, holding one end of the towel in each hand. This is the starting position.
- Raise one foot a few inches off the ground and press the arms down, tapping the knee with your towel.
- Pause in this position for a moment.
- Return to the starting position and repeat on the opposite side.
- Complete 15 reps on each leg.
4. Kneeling Hip Extension
- Start kneeling, toes tucked, holding the towel in front of your chest with arms extended.
- Keeping your arms in place, press your hips backward and sit back until your butt just touches your heels. Pause here for a moment.
- Squeeze your glutes and press your hips forward to return to the starting position.
- Finish at the top by tucking your pelvis and squeezing your glutes.