Your mattress can make or break your sleep quality, but so can other factors — like your sleeping position and whether it offers enough support.
Video of the Day
The best way to relieve this pressure? Investing in a mattress made for side sleepers — often designed with extra firmness. If you can't make the switch any time soon, though, getting a mattress topper is a great alternative.
Your mattress topper should ideally complement the mattress it's paired with, and add softness to alleviate pressure points on your shoulders and hips when sleeping on your side, Luo says
That said, here's our list of the best mattress toppers for side sleepers, recommended by a sleep expert.
The Best Mattress Toppers for Side Sleepers
- Best Overall: Nolah Mattress Topper (From $194, Nolah Mattress)
- Best on a Budget: Brooklyn Bedding 4-lb. Memory Foam Topper (From $176.90, Brooklyn Bedding)
- Best for Back Pain: TEMPUR-Adapt Topper (From $191.40, Tempur-Pedic)
- Best Cooling: Casper Comfy Mattress Topper (From $199, Casper)
- Best Firm: Plush Beds Natural Latex Mattress Topper (From $194, Plush Beds)
- Best Soft: Lift by Amerisleep Mattress Topper (From $254.25, Amerisleep)
- Best Memory Foam: Tuft & Needle Mattress Topper (From $170, Tuft & Needle)
- Best Latex: Avocado Green Organic Latex Mattress Topper (From $549, Avocado Green Mattress)
- Best Organic: Birch Plush Organic Mattress Topper (From $349, Birch Living)
- Best Gel: Linenspa Gel Swirl Memory Foam Mattress Topper (From $37.49, Amazon)
How We Chose
We reached out to a sleep specialist to better understand the specific features that make a mattress topper effective for side sleepers. We chose our top picks based on the following criteria:
For more information on how we choose and cover products, click here.
1. Nolah Mattress Topper
2. Brooklyn Bedding 4-lb. Memory Foam Topper
3. TEMPUR-Adapt Topper
4. Casper Comfy Mattress Topper
5. Plush Beds Natural Latex Mattress Topper
6. Lift by Amerisleep Mattress Topper
7. Tuft & Needle Mattress Topper
8. Avocado Green Organic Latex Mattress Topper
9. Birch Plush Organic Mattress Topper
10. Linenspa Gel Swirl Memory Foam Mattress Topper
What to Look for in a Mattress Topper for Side Sleepers
Before you purchase a mattress topper, there are a few factors to consider, especially as a side sleeper.
Here's what you should keep in mind when looking for the right fit.
Like regular mattresses, mattress toppers are rarely a cheap purchase. But consider them a long-term investment in your health, and pay attention to any warranty that's included.
A five-year or 10-year warranty will help guarantee your comfort or a replacement topper if needed. Plus, a mattress topper is less expensive than buying an entirely new mattress.
The whole point of having a mattress topper is to enhance comfort, so make sure you're buying one that feels good for you. As a side sleeper, look for toppers that make you feel supported and comfortable.
"The perfect combination is usually a mattress that offers enough firmness to support your neck and spine, and a mattress topper soft enough to alleviate pressure points on your shoulders and hips when side sleeping, or your shoulder blades when sleeping on your back," Luo says.
You'll want to add comfort, but not extra warmth to your bed.
Try to find a topper that has cooling technology, like a cooling gel or foam that ensures you don't overheat.
If you're typically a hot sleeper, gel memory foam options may be a better choice than traditional memory foam, which can feel thicker and hotter throughout the night.
Is this an emergency? If you are experiencing serious medical symptoms, please see the National Library of Medicine’s list of signs you need emergency medical attention or call 911.