Whether you're eating less meat, developing a vegan palate or starting a gluten-free diet, yellow split peas are a healthy source of protein, carbohydrate, fiber and some B vitamins. Also known as pulses, yellow split peas don't require the lengthy soaking that other dried legumes need.
Video of the Day
Things You'll Need
2 bags yellow split peas
6 qt. or larger Dutch oven, crockpot or stockpot
Sieve or colander
Food mill or blender
3 tsp. cumin
1 tsp. coriander
2 cups diced carrots
1 cup chopped celery
1 qt. soy milk, almond milk or rice milk
3 tbsp. dry mango powder or 1/2 cup mashed mango
1 to 2 cups fresh diced tomatoes
One large onion, minced
4 to 6 cloves garlic
2 tbsp. ground turmeric
2 tsp. red chili powder
1 lb. fresh mustard greens, chopped
3 tbsp. olive oil
1/2 cup cooked rice, amaranth, quinoa, toasted buckwheat or groats per person
- Pour dried, split yellow peas into a 6-quart Dutch oven, crockpot or stockpot and cover with water.
- Swirl peas around and pour through a sieve or colander.
- Repeat three times to ensure removal of any dust or debris.
- Return the peas to the crockpot, stockpot or Dutch oven.
- Add water one to two inches above peas. Don't add salt or baking soda because the sodium will prevent them from softening.
- Bring to a rolling boil before lowering heat to medium low if using a stockpot or Dutch oven on a stovetop. Cook on high if using a crockpot.
- Cook until the peas fall into a puree on their own rather than rigidly following a recommended cooking time.
- Drain peas, reserving all liquid.
- Pour into a food processor or blender and grind or pulse them to a smooth consistency.
- Return blended peas and all liquid to the stockpot, crockpot or Dutch oven.
- Add any combination of the optional ingredients to your individual taste.
- Cook an additional 30 to 45 minutes on low heat, stirring occasionally.
- Add onions and any milks or cooked meats 15 minutes before serving.
- Add fresh garlic five minutes before serving.
- Serve over 1/2 cup cooked rice, amaranth, quinoa, toasted buckwheat or groats per person.