How to Find a Doctor That Specializes in Vitamin Deficiencies

See a general physician or dietitian for treatment of vitamin deficiencies.

According to, the human body requires specific levels of both vitamins and minerals in order to function correctly. You can maintain proper vitamin levels by eating a healthy, well-balanced diet in accordance with nutritional guidelines outlined by the Food and Drug Administration. If you have concerns about specific nutritional deficiencies, seek consultation with a medical professional to assess the nature and possible causes of any deficiencies. Once a deficiency is identified, you will typically need to seek ongoing treatment. If the deficiency is related to a specific medical condition or illness, specialized medical care may be required.


Step 1

Schedule an appointment with a family physician. notes that a general practitioner has the ability to request blood tests that can assess a wide variety of vitamin deficiencies. You may be asked to take several blood tests, and the blood samples will be analyzed to assess the nutritional levels in your blood. The results are then compared with the norms, and any results that fall below the norms indicate a deficiency.

Video of the Day

Step 2

Discuss the specific deficiency with the medical provider. According to sources at, some deficiencies are the result of poor diet and nutrition, and you may need to adjust your diet and use supplements to correct the deficiency. Some deficiencies, however, may be the result of a specific disease or blood disorder, such as Crohn's disease, celiac disease, kidney disorders or alcoholism. In this case, the medical provider may refer you to a specialist.

Step 3

Request referrals for medical specialists or a dietitian who can monitor the ongoing treatment and dietary plan. The American Dietetic Association suggests that many individuals with nutritional issues can benefit from ongoing support from a registered dietitian. A dietitian typically helps you plan a balanced diet and advises you about the use of vitamin supplements. If your deficiency is the result of a disease or medical disorder, you may be referred to a medical specialist as well as a dietitian. For example, if you have Crohn's disease, you may see a doctor who specializes in gastroenterology, and you may also have regular appointments with a nutrition specialist.

Video of the Day




Report an Issue

screenshot of the current page

Screenshot loading...