Perrier mineral water bubbles up from a natural mineral spring in France. The water is carbonated by natural gases that form under the spring. The water not only helps keep you hydrated, which is essential to health, the minerals offer a surprising number of health benefits.
No calories are in plain Perrier mineral water. The flavored varieties of Perrier, including lemon, lime and grapefruit, are flavored with essential oils. The oils do not add calories or sugar to the water.
An 8 oz. serving of mineral water contains 2 mg sodium and 4 percent of your daily recommended intake of calcium. Perrier also contains magnesium and potassium -- two minerals your body needs for optimum health. Potassium is crucial to heart-health, according to the University of Maryland Medical Center.
A study published in "The Journal of Nutrition" found that consumption of carbonated mineral water containing sodium lowered the risk of heart disease in postmenopausal women. One liter of the water per day lowered "bad" LDL cholesterol levels in the blood and increased "good" HDL levels.
- MyFitnessPal.com: Calories in Perrier Sparkling Natural Mineral Water
- MyFitnessPal.com: Calories in Perrier Pink Grapefruit Sparkling Natural Mineral Water
- "The Journal of Nutrition": A Sodium-Rich Carbonated Mineral Water Reduces Cardiovascular Risk in Postmenopausal Women
- University of Maryland Medical Center: Potassium
- University of Maryland Medical Center: Magnesium in diet - Overview