How to Cook Rib Eye Steaks on the Stove Top

Ribeye steaks are a marbled cut of beef taken from the rib area, with the rib and back bones removed.
Image Credit: Leks_Laputin/iStock/GettyImages

Ribeye steaks are a marbled cut of beef taken from the rib area, with the rib and back bones removed. Follow a pan fried steak recipe to sear the outside of the steak while keeping the inside of the cut moist and tender.


Gather the Ingredients

Video of the Day

Try cooking your ribeye with instructions from this simple recipe for Paleo Cinco de Mayo Steak Salad from LIVESTRONG.COM. This recipe uses a 8-ounce cut of meat with some simple seasonings.

Video of the Day

When selecting your cut of beef, observe the amount of marbling, or fat, in the steak. You can also look for the USDA rating that may be listed on the packaging:

  • Prime beef has the highest level of marbling. This high-quality beef is often served in restaurants.
  • Choice beef is high quality but has less marbling than prime, but is still a tender and flavorful cut.
  • Select beef has the smallest amount of marbling. These cuts are more likely to dry out when you cook them.


A 4.5-ounce ribeye filet has 240 calories, advises the USDA. Approximately 63 percent of these calories come from protein and the remaining 37 percent come from fat. Other important nutrients found in your ribeye include:

  • 4.6 milligrams or 26 percent Daily Value of iron
  • 14.2 milligrams or 129 percent Daily Value of zinc
  • 4.4 micrograms or 189 percent Daily Value of vitamin B12

There are no carbs or fiber in a ribeye.

You will need a cast-iron skillet or a pan. This recipe calls for ghee, but you can also opt to use other fats such as peanut or canola oil or butter. In addition, you will need sea salt and pepper. Consider coarse kosher salt and cracked black pepper for the most flavor.


Read more: 5 Popular Types of Salt and How to Use Them

Pan-Fried Steak Recipe

Once you have gathered your ingredients, it's time to cook your ribeye.

  1. Pre-heat your pan: Place your skillet on the stove over medium-high heat and melt one tablespoon of ghee..
  2. Prepare the steak: Season both sides of the steak with salt and pepper.
  3. Sear the ribeye: Place the steak on the pan and cook it for four minutes. Then flip the steak and cook another three to four minutes to the desired doneness.


Use a meat thermometer to check the temperature of the meat to confirm it is properly cooked. A medium-rare steak should be 120 to 125 degrees.

Once the steak is done, allow it to rest for approximately 10 minutes before serving. This recipe calls for you to slice the steak and add it to the salad, but you can also eat the steak by itself with a salad or other dish on the side.

Read more: How to Cook a Tender Steak on the Stove


If you are looking for different things to do with ribeye steak, explore some different cooking methods. The University of Nebraska-Lincoln advises that the best way to cook the steak is by broiling, grilling, pan-frying or pan-broiling it.




Report an Issue

screenshot of the current page

Screenshot loading...