Russet potatoes are great for baking but other varieties like sweet potatoes and purple potatoes work well too. Whether you decide to mix colors or keep it simple, potatoes are quick and easy to prepare right on the grill.
Baked Potato Ingredients
- Several potatoes: Choose your favorite type of potato or include a variety for a mix of flavors.
- Spices and condiments: You can choose any spices you like or keep it simple with some salt and olive oil. Think about any toppings you may want to add to your baked potato like sour cream, cheese or even guacamole!
- Tinfoil: You will need enough to fully wrap each potato.
- Fork, knife and tray or serving dish.
How to Bake Potatoes on the Grill
- Heat your grill: Before you begin preparing your potatoes, bring your grill to medium heat or 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Wash your potatoes: Make sure to wash your potatoes carefully and thoroughly. Potatoes are a root vegetable and grow in the ground, so there may still be some soil left on the skin.
- Remove brown spots: If you notice your potatoes have any bruises or discolorations, simply cut them off with a knife, recommends the USDA.
- Poke some holes: Using your fork, poke several holes in the potato to allow steam to escape while baking. Make sure the holes are about an inch apart.
- Rub in some olive oil: Although the foil will keep the skin from crisping, you can rub a little olive oil on the skin of each potato for extra soft potato skins.
- Wrap your potatoes: Wrap your potatoes in foil, covering them completely and placing them on the grill once it has preheated.
- Check your potatoes: Potatoes require around 20 to 30 minutes to bake, and you should turn them halfway through to ensure even baking. After 20 minutes, unwrap one of the potatoes and prick it with a fork to check for tenderness. If the potatoes are soft, you can remove them from the grill.
Topping Your Baked Potatoes
Adding some fat to your baked potatoes will add flavor and help keep you satiated for longer. While sour cream is a popular choice, consider swapping it for Greek yogurt or cottage cheese for a healthy dose of satiating protein. Healthy fats such as guacamole and tahini also make for tasty toppings. Experiment away!