How to Melt Hershey's Chocolate Bars in a Pan

Melting chocolate
Melting chocolate requires low heat and patience while the chocolate slowly melts. (Image: Adam Gault/OJO Images/Getty Images)

Most chocolate has a low melting point that can cause it to melt on your kitchen counter on a warm summer's day. This makes it easy to melt down chocolate bars when you want to use it for other recipes. According to The Hershey Company, Hershey's chocolate bars can melt at 75 degrees Fahrenheit, so finding a way to heat them usually isn't difficult. Of greater importance is protecting the chocolate from high heat that can burn and ruin your chocolate. Cooking on low heat is the key, even if it takes awhile for the chocolate to fully melt.

Step 1

Break the bars into smaller chunks -- this will help them heat faster, and you will be able to stir the chunks in the bowl as they melt.

Step 2

Place the chunks of chocolate into a heat-proof bowl.

Step 3

Place a small amount of water into a skillet or frying pan. Put the pan on medium-low heat, or just until the water starts to slowly simmer.

Step 4

Place the bowl of chocolate into the simmering water and allow the bowl to heat up. Stir the chocolate occasionally.

Step 5

Continue heating the chocolate and stirring until it becomes melted and smooth, then remove the bowl from the pan.

Things You'll Need

  • Hershey's chocolate bar

  • Heat-proof bowl

  • Pan or skillet

  • Water

  • Stirring spoon

Tip

Be patient with your chocolate and give the bowl time to heat up. Cooking at too high a heat can burn the chocolate.

Do not let water get into the chocolate. Make sure your stirring spoon is completely dry. Water can cause the chocolate to seize up, causing it to turn hard and grainy and lose its creamy texture.

REFERENCES & RESOURCES
Load comments
PARTNER & LICENSEE OF THE LIVESTRONG FOUNDATION

Copyright © 2019 Leaf Group Ltd. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the LIVESTRONG.COM Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Copyright Policy. The material appearing on LIVESTRONG.COM is for educational use only. It should not be used as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. LIVESTRONG is a registered trademark of the LIVESTRONG Foundation. The LIVESTRONG Foundation and LIVESTRONG.COM do not endorse any of the products or services that are advertised on the web site. Moreover, we do not select every advertiser or advertisement that appears on the web site-many of the advertisements are served by third party advertising companies.