Can You Have Allergic Itching From Chamomile Tea?

Chamomile tea is widely used as an herbal tea as well as an ingredient in lotions and other topical treatments. It has a strong, distinctively fresh herbal scent and small, daisy-like blossoms. Chamomile is generally considered safe for consumption, but some individuals can experience mild allergic reactions after drinking the tea.

Chamomile allergies are not uncommon.
Credit: ChamilleWhite/iStock/Getty Images

Uses

Chamomile tea has a variety of medicinal uses. It is used to aid in relaxation and treat anxiety and insomnia, which is the most popular use in the United States, the University of Maryland Medical Center notes. Chamomile is also commonly used to soothe upset stomachs and ease gas.

Symptoms

Allergic reactions to chamomile tea are generally mild. Your mouth, throat and lips may burn or itch. You may break out in hives. If you handle loose chamomile or use a chamomile-based cream, you could also experience a red and itchy rash known as contact dermatitis. More serious reactions, such as anaphylaxis, which is characterized by tissue swelling, a drop in blood pressure and difficulty breathing, are quite rare.

Related Allergens

You are more likely to experience an allergic reaction to chamomile if you are allergic to ragweed, daisies, asters, marigolds or chrysanthemums. If you have a known sensitivity to any of these flowers, use chamomile tea with caution. You should also be cautious if you are asthmatic.

Reactions

If you experience allergic symptoms after drinking chamomile tea, try taking an antihistamine to relieve mild symptoms of itching and rash. If you experience any difficulty breathing or swelling, contact your doctor immediately.

references
Load Comments
PARTNER & LICENSEE OF THE LIVESTRONG FOUNDATION

Copyright © 2019 Leaf Group Ltd. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the LIVESTRONG.COM Terms of Use , Privacy Policy and Copyright Policy . The material appearing on LIVESTRONG.COM is for educational use only. It should not be used as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. LIVESTRONG is a registered trademark of the LIVESTRONG Foundation. The LIVESTRONG Foundation and LIVESTRONG.COM do not endorse any of the products or services that are advertised on the web site. Moreover, we do not select every advertiser or advertisement that appears on the web site-many of the advertisements are served by third party advertising companies.