Pretty knees are often a goal for women who wish to show off their legs. While you can't target fat loss to one spot with knee toning exercises, you can tone up the areas around your knees by losing overall body fat and performing lower body strength training exercises.
Video of the Day
Read more: How Long Does Muscle Toning Take?
Remember to check with your physician prior to starting any workout regimen, including knee toning exercises.
Lunges, as demonstrated by ExRx.net, are key to strengthening and tightening the quadriceps muscles in the upper leg. Perform three sets of 10 lunges with one minute rest in between.
- Step forward with your right foot and bend your leg so that your knee is at a 90-degree angle above your ankle.
- Push back up to your starting position.
- Complete the next lunge with your left foot forward.
- Continue to alternate legs throughout the set. Maintain your posture as you perform lunges so that your spine is straight, your shoulders back and your head level as you look forward.
2. Leg Extensions
Leg extensions are another beneficial exercise to tone flabby knees. You can use a leg extension machine at the gym or you can invest in a home machine.
- Sit down on the seat of the machine with your legs pushed against the padded bar. The bar should rest on the tops of your ankles.
- Extend your legs slowly until they are almost parallel with the floor; then lower them back to the starting position with control.
- Perform three sets of 10 with a one-minute rest in between sets.
Another leg exercise that helps to tone flabby knees is squats. This time-honored high school gymnasium exercise, demonstrated by the American Council on Exercise, can be executed anywhere.
- Stand with your feet approximately hip-width apart.
- Keep your torso upright as you bend your knees, lowering your buttocks toward the floor as far as you can; then slowly raise yourself back up to the starting position.
Ten repetitions for three sets are enough for one day's workout.
Adjustable exercise steps are great for exercises for saggy knees. You can purchase these padded steps at most sporting goods stores, and they are fairly inexpensive. To use the equipment, you simply place it on a level floor and step one foot up and then the other.
Step back down to the floor one foot at a time and repeat for three sets of 10 repetitions. Take a one-minute rest between sets. Maintain good posture, making sure not to lean forward as you perform each repetition. To increase the challenge, increase the height of the step.
Add Some Cardio
In addition to exercises to tone and shape your legs, make sure to follow the Physical Activity Guidelines for Americans, which recommends 150 minutes of moderate-intensity aerobic exercise or 75 minutes of vigorous-intensity activity each week.
Any aerobic exercise, from brisk walking to cycling to swimming will help burn calories and tone your muscles. Even daily activities, such as yardwork or gardening, can help you reach this goal.