If you're approaching the finish line of LIVESTRONG.com 30-Day Squat Challenge, you might be wondering, "What's next?!"
During the course of the challenge, you've done countless squat reps and probably tried a few variations that target different parts of your legs and butt. So it's only natural to want to harness that momentum to keep your progress going. To build on what you started, here are a few lower-body workout ideas.
1. Try These 5 Leg- and Booty-Toning Moves
Sure, squats are one of the best, most versatile and most accessible lower-body exercises that nearly anyone can do. But for a well-rounded butt (pun definitely intended), you'll want to do some of these other great exercises as well.
Move 1: Glute Bridges
- Lie on your back with your knees bent and your feet at your butt. Keep your arms along your side.
- Press into your heals and lift your butt and back off the floor. You'll be supporting yourself with your shoulders, arms and feet.
- Hold for 30 to 60 seconds and release.
Move 2: Lunges
- Stand up straight and take a step two to three feet forward.
- Bend both knees to 90 degrees.
- Press off your front foot and return to the start.
Once you’ve mastered the basic version, move on to other lunge variations.
Move 3: Glute Kickbacks
- Start on all fours with your hands under your shoulders and knees under your hips.
- Using just your glutes, lift one knee off the floor and raise your foot to the ceiling, keeping your knee bent.
- Return to the start and repeat on the other side.
Move 4: Hip Thrusts
- Hold a barbell or dumbbell over your hips and lean your upper back against a weight bench or chair. Bend your knees and place your feet by your butt.
- Press through your heels and lift the weight off the floor until your back is parallel to the floor.
- Lower back down with control.
Move 5: Deadlift
- Using either a barbell or pair of dumbbells, stand in front of the weight with your feet facing forward and about hip-width apart.
- Hinge at your hips and pick up the bar. Don't arch your back, and neither bend nor lock your knees.
- Using the strength from your glutes and hamstrings, stand up with the weight.
- Lower back down with control.
2. Choose a Fun Lower-Body Workout
Looking for a way to mix up your booty workouts? You'll definitely want to try out the above squat workout from @IAmTheDaisha. It's only 10 minutes, and you can modify it according to your fitness level. Do each of the 10 moves for 60 seconds or split your time between 45 seconds of work and 15 seconds of rest (or 30 on, 30 off).
And there are plenty others to choose from, too. Here are a few of our other favorites:
3. Pick the Best Cardio for Your Legs
While running on the treadmill may be the first thing you think of when it comes to cardio workouts, it's not the only option. Instead of slogging it out for endless hours on the track, give one of these options a try. (Bonus: All of them are fantastic for your booty, too!)
You can either find a set of stairs at a track or hop on the stepmill. To keep from getting bored on the gym machine, switch up your pace or walk up sideways (hold onto the railing). If you're outside, sprint up the stairs, then recover on the way down.
Find your favorite hill (or set the treadmill to a steep incline) and get ready to race up it! Sprinting up a hill requires a lot more glute activation than walking on flat land, helping you boost those booty gains.
If you need something a little lower-impact, walking uphill burns calories while targeting your glutes. Bonus points if you can find an amazing uphill hiking trail to enjoy the great outdoors and fresh air.
Want to join the next LIVESTRONG.com challenge? Join our Facebook group.