If you're stuck at home or tired of your regular walking route, switch things up with this jump rope workout from CrossFit athlete and fitness influencer Jordan Shalhoub. You'll get your heart pumping and burn calories with minimal equipment — and you don't need a lot of space.
Follow along with the video below anytime, anywhere. The entire routine only takes 10 minutes to complete. You'll warm up for one minute, push yourself for eight minutes, then finish with a one-minute cool down.
Get tips on how to stay healthy, safe and sane during the novel coronavirus pandemic.
You can repeat the entire circuit as many times as you'd like to up the challenge, but two to three times through is ideal if you're using this as a standalone workout. If you're just starting out or getting back into fitness, once through is plenty to get you on the path to serious results.
- 10 jumping jacks
- 10 burpees
- Start with your feet together, hands at your side.
- Jump your feet out to the sides as you bring your arms overhead.
- Jump back to start.
Step your feet out to the sides if jumping hurts your knees.
- Start standing.
- Lower your hands to the ground.
- Jump or step back into a high plank.
- Do a single push-up, lowering your chest to the ground and then pressing back up.
- Step or jump your feet back to your hands.
- Jump up into the air, landing with knees slightly bent and ready for the next rep.
Modify by doing the push-up part of your burpee on your knees.
After you're warm, it's time to jump. On the odd minutes, you'll be jumping rope, alternating between forward and backward (if you can). On the even minutes, you'll be performing different body-weight movements to build up some strength.
50 seconds of work, followed by 10 seconds of rest, for each of the following exercises:
- Minute 1: Jump rope forward
- Minute 2: Plank shoulder tap
- Minute 3: Jump rope backward
- Minute 4: Jump squat
- Minute 5: Jump rope forward
- Minute 6: Inchworms with push-up
- Minute 7: Jump rope backward
- Minute 8: Lunge
Plank Shoulder Tap
- Start in a high plank, supporting yourself on your feet and hands, arms straight.
- Keeping your body straight and your hips level, lift your right hand off the floor to touch your left shoulder.
- Place the hand back down and do the same on the left side.
- Continue alternating.
- Start standing with feet hip-width apart.
- Raise your arms out in front of you as you lower back down into a squat (thighs parallel to the floor).
- Jump up as you swing your arms overhead.
- Land with your knees slightly bent and continue straight into the next rep.
Inchworm With Push-Up
- Start standing with feet shoulder-width apart.
- Fold forward and walk your hands out in front of you until you're in a high plank.
- Bend your elbows to lower your chest to the floor.
- Press back up into a plank.
- Walk your hands back to your feet.
- Stand up and repeat.
- Stand with feet shoulder-width apart.
- Step forward a few feet with your right leg.
- Lower down until both knees are bent to 90 degrees.
- Push through your right heel to come back to standing.
- Repeat on the left leg.
- Continue alternating.
- Lizard stretch
- Puppy stretch
- Start in a low lunge with your front knee bent to 90 degrees and your back leg extended out straight behind you and your back knee off the ground.
- Place your hands on the ground.
- Hold for 30 seconds before repeating on the other side.
For an even deeper stretch, lower to your forearms.
- Start on all fours.
- Keeping your butt up, stretch your hands out in front of you so that you feel a stretch throughout your upper body and hips.
- Hold for 30 seconds.