The beauty of low-impact workouts is that you can tailor them to meet virtually any fitness goal. That includes abdominal fat loss.
While spot reduction is a myth, combining low-impact cardio and compound strength moves is a great way to lose body fat all over — including from your midsection.
That's because it both gets your heart rate up and works muscles all throughout your body. As a result, you increase your calorie burn and lean muscle mass, both of which which are linked to healthy abdominal, or belly, fat levels.
Get started with this low-impact fat-burning workout. All it takes is 20 minutes and a pair of dumbbells (or two water bottles or soup cans for some resistance).
Move 1: Low-Impact Jumping Jack
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart. Hold your arms at your sides with your elbows bent and palms facing forward.
- Step your right foot out to one side and at the same time, bring your right hand over your head, to reach to the left.
- Step back, then switch sides.
Move 2: Standing Oblique Crunch
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and hands on the back of your head.
- Raise your right knee to your side as you bring your right elbow down toward your knee.
- Move back to start, then switch sides.
Move 3: Standing Squat Jab
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and hands in front of your chest in fists.
- Lower into a squat.
- Stand back and extend one arm to punch diagonally across your body.
- Lower back into a squat and switch sides.
Move 4: Standing Kickback With Dumbbell Row
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart. Hold dumbbells in front of your waist with your arms extended and palms facing each other.
- Raise one heel to your hips and row the weights to your toros.
- Press the dumbbells in front of you as you lower your foot to the ground.
- Switch sides.
Move 5: Side Step With Shoulder Dumbbell Press
- Stand tall with your feet together. Hold a dumbbell in each hand at shoulder level with your palms facing forward.
- Step your right foot to the right as you press the dumbbells overhead.
- Step your feet together and lower the weights.
- Switch sides.
Move 6: Standing High-Knee Lift With Dumbbell Curl
- Stand with your feet shoulder-width apart and hold dumbbells by your sides with your palms facing each other.
- Raise one knee toward your waist and curl the weights toward your shoulders. As you raise the weights, rotate the weights so that your palms face your shoulders.
- Lower to start, then switch sides.