If you're having a hard time eating right due to time constraints or lack of skills in the kitchen, you may feel the need to add a vitamin and mineral supplement to your diet as a sort of insurance policy for better nutrition. If you're working out, you might consider GNC Mega Men Sport, a multivitamin that provides a number of essential nutrients in high doses, including some that are especially important for men. Consult your doctor before adding a dietary supplement to your daily routine.
Excellent Source of Vitamin D
Most men have a difficult time meeting their daily vitamin D needs, according to the Office of Dietary Supplements. Vitamin D, along with calcium, is important for bone health, and the USDA recommends supplementation if you can't get enough in your diet.
Heavy Dose of Bs
If you're working out hard, you may need to increase your calorie intake to meet your increased demands, which may require an increase in your B vitamins. The Mega Men Sport vitamin also contains high doses of the B vitamins, meeting 100 percent or more of the daily value for all eight vitamins. More specifically, the vitamin meets more than 1,000 percent of the daily value for thiamine, riboflavin and vitamin B-6.
You need an adequate intake of the B vitamins to help your body get the energy it needs from the food you eat.
Nutrients for Men
The Palo Alto Medical Foundation says most men don't eat enough fruits and vegetables. These foods are rich in a number of nutrients you need for good health, including lutein and zeaxanthin. GNC Mega Men Sport is a source of these two carotenoids, which are important for eye health. However, daily requirements for these two nutrients have not yet been determined.
Vitamin E and Selenium Concerns
Taking supplements with large doses of vitamin E and selenium might increase your risk of prostate cancer, according to a report from Harvard Health Publishing, which recommends you avoid supplements that contain them.
GNC Mega Men Sport meets 100 percent of the daily value for vitamin E and 286 percent of the daily value for selenium. These doses are lower than the doses shown to negatively affect prostate health, but you should still consult your doctor before starting any dietary supplement, including GNC Mega Men Sport.
Getting Nutrients Through Diet
Although vitamin supplements are useful in certain situations that prevent you from getting adequate amounts from your diet, the best way to get the nutrients you need is through food. If you eat a balanced diet — one containing plenty of fruits, vegetables and whole grains — you'll get the proper mix of all the nutrients needed to perform their important synergistic interactions required for good health.
According to Harvard Health Publishing, some of the most nutrient-dense foods, relative to the number of calories, that can help fulfill your vitamin and mineral needs include:
- Leafy greens such as chard, collard, kale, mustard greens and spinach
- Vegetables — bell peppers, Brussels sprouts, mushrooms and sweet potatoes
- Fruits — cantaloupe, papaya, raspberries and strawberries
- Dairy — low-fat yogurt and eggs
- Seeds —flax, pumpkin, sesame and sunflower
- Dried beans — garbanzo, kidney, navy and pinto
- Nuts — almonds and cashews
- Grains —barley, oats, quinoa and brown rice
- Fish — salmon, halibut, cod, scallops, shrimp and tuna
- Meat —lean beef, lamb, venison, chicken and turkey
- GNC: "Mega Men Sport"
- Office of Dietary Supplements: "Vitamin D"
- Palo Alto Medical Foundation: "Male Diet and Nutrition"
- American Optometric Association: "Lutein and Zeaxanthin"
- Harvard Health Publications: "Selenium, Vitamin E Supplements Increase Prostate Cancer Risk"
- Harvard Health: "Getting Your Vitamins and Minerals Through Diet"