Russet is one of the most versatile types of potatoes, suitable for frying, mashing, baking and roasting. They're often called Idaho potatoes after the top-producing state that grows roughly 11.5 billion pounds of them each year.
Russet potatoes are relatively low in calories, with only 160 calories in a medium potato. They're also a good source of dietary fiber, vitamin C and potassium, according to the American Journal of Potato Research.
Video of the Day
Things You'll Need
Kosher or sea salt
Coarsely ground black pepper
- Wash all potatoes thoroughly.
- Peel the potatoes, if desired, or leave the skin intact.
- Cut the potatoes into 1.5-inch chunks.
- Place cut-up potatoes into a large pot filled with salted water.
- Set over high heat, cover and bring to a boil.
- Cook the potatoes for 5 minutes from the time the water boils.
- Drain and set the potatoes in a large bowl.
- Allow the potatoes to cool. You can make the potatoes to this point up to one day ahead of time if you keep them in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Pour 2 to 3 tablespoons of olive oil into the bottom of a roasting pan.
- Add the potato chunks.
- Season with salt and pepper (or any other type of seasoning you choose).
- Toss the potatoes with your hands, evenly coating them with the olive oil and seasonings.
- Place the potatoes in the preheated oven on the middle rack.
- Roast the potatoes for 30 to 40 minutes until golden brown; turn the potatoes with a spoon once or twice during the cooking process.
Add chopped onions, green bell peppers, garlic powder and paprika to the potatoes before roasting for a flavorful side dish. And give the cooked potatoes a fresh-from-the-garden taste by topping them with fresh herbs.
Never freeze or refrigerate raw russet potatoes. Store them in a ventilated, dry space kept between 45 and 55 degrees Fahrenheit. Russet potatoes have a high starch content that will turn to sugar when they become too cold. Diabetics should avoid white potatoes, as they have a relatively high glycemic index of 76.