Finding alternative ways to cook potatoes and keep them healthy can be a challenge. A baked potato cries out for sour cream, butter, bacon, chives and cheese, turning the healthy tuber into a cholesterol-raising time bomb, and fried potatoes aren't much better.
Cooking lightly seasoned, sliced potatoes on the grill in foil creates a tender, healthy side dish that does not outweigh the health benefit of the potato. A 5.3-ounce serving of potatoes contains approximately 110 calories, no fat, 45 percent of your daily vitamin C and 2 grams of fiber.
Video of the Day
Things You'll Need
Scrubber sponge or soft nylon brush
Spices, to taste, optional
Small, metal shovel
- Scrub your potatoes clean with a scrubber sponge or a soft nylon brush. Try not to scrub through the skin of the potatoes.
- Slice the potatoes into 1/2-inch thick slices using a sharp knife.
- Coat the potato slices in a mix of olive oil and your favorite spices, if you'd like.
- Lay a single serving of potato slices in the center of a piece of heavy-duty foil, approximately 24 inches in length. Coat the surface of the foil with olive oil if you did not season your slices.
- Create a foil pouch by bringing the cut ends of the foil together. Fold the ends over twice, making two 1/4-inch folds to seal the foil over the top of the potatoes. Fold the two open ends of the foil in the same manner. Leave space in the foil pouch for air and expansion.
- Light your grill and bring the temperature to medium-high or 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Push the hot coals to one side of the grill with a small shovel, leaving an area free of direct heat beneath the grate if using a charcoal grill. Turn off one burner on a gas grill. This gives you an area in your grill to cook over indirect heat.
- Place the foil pouches of sliced potatoes onto the grill grate in the spot without direct heat.
- Close the lid on your grill, and let the potato slices cook in the foil for 20 to 25 minutes, or until they become tender.
- Turn the potato pouches halfway through the cooking process with tongs.