How to Make Dipping Chocolate Thinner

Chocolate fondue
Oil will thin out chocolate dip. (Image: yasuhiroamano/iStock/Getty Images)

Melted chocolate is often used as a dip for fruits, pastries and other sweet indulgences. However, if the dipping chocolate is too thick, it can overpower the foods dipped into it or not adhere to their surfaces. The way to make dipping chocolate a little bit thinner is not to place it over higher heat but to add a liquefying agent. Approximately 10 minutes and one simple ingredient are required to thin out dipping chocolate.

Step 1

Fill the lower half of a double boiler with water and set it over high heat. Bring the water to a boil and reduce the heat to medium. Set the top half of the double boiler onto the bottom half.

Step 2

Transfer the dipping chocolate to the top half of the double boiler. Allow it to heat until melted thoroughly, stirring frequently with a spoon.

Step 3

Add 1 tsp. of shortening or cooking oil to the melted dipping chocolate. The type of shortening or cooking oil you select might affect the flavor of the chocolate. Vegetable oil or shortening and canola oil will not affect the flavor. In contrast, peanut oil will give the chocolate a slightly nutty flavor and butter-flavored shortening will make it richer.

Step 4

Stir the shortening or cooking oil into the dipping chocolate. If it does not thin out as much as you desire, add another teaspoon. Repeat this process until the dipping chocolate is thin enough.

Step 5

Remove the dipping chocolate from the double boiler and use it within 10 minutes or before it hardens.

Things You'll Need

  • Double boiler

  • Spoon

  • Shortening or cooking oil (peanut, canola oil, vegetable oil)

Tip

You can refrigerate leftover dipping chocolate and reheat it later in the double boiler.

REFERENCES & RESOURCES
Load comments
PARTNER & LICENSEE OF THE LIVESTRONG FOUNDATION

Copyright © 2019 Leaf Group Ltd. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the LIVESTRONG.COM Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Copyright Policy. The material appearing on LIVESTRONG.COM is for educational use only. It should not be used as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. LIVESTRONG is a registered trademark of the LIVESTRONG Foundation. The LIVESTRONG Foundation and LIVESTRONG.COM do not endorse any of the products or services that are advertised on the web site. Moreover, we do not select every advertiser or advertisement that appears on the web site-many of the advertisements are served by third party advertising companies.