Well, team! It's week 3 of the LIVESTRONG.COM 30-Day Burpee Challenge and you're halfway through. Thus far, you've done 144 burpess total, which is definitely an accomplishment worth celebrating.
Video of the Day
But don't stop there! Because you have another 531 to go. And while that may be the burpee equivalent of climbing Mt. Everest, you haven't come this far to throw in the towel. Just take things one day at a time. For this week, here's your schedule (see full calendar below):
- Day 15: 25
- Day 16: 27
- Day 17: 29
- Day 18: rest (Hallelujah!)
- Day 19: 31
- Day 20: 33
- Day 21: 35
But it's understandable that halfway through things, you start to lose steam. The new-ness has worn off, you're tired and responsibilities are piling on. It's tempting to want to throw in the towel. Here are a few tips to help beat that mid-challenge slump and power through to the finish line.
1. Remember Your Why
Think back to week 1 of the challenge when you established your why. Why are you doing this challenge? Some reasons might be:
- Get more active — baby steps!
- Strengthen your entire body
- Boost your metabolism with exercise
- Set a good example for your kids
- Win the friendly inter-office competition you started
- See how far and how hard you can push yourself
- Have fun by doing something different (Yes, this totally counts!)
Whatever your reason, remind yourself of that now. If you need to, write it on a sticky note and keep it somewhere you'll see it. Having trouble thinking of something? Focus on one of these benefits of burpees:
- Build full-body strength
- Improve endurance
- Good for cardiovascular health
- Torch calories (about 240 to 355 calories in 30 minutes)
- Cross-train for other activities (running, cycling, dance, sports, etc.)
2. Do Your Burpees in the Morning
There's a reason so many people who've made exercise a habit work out in the morning: It's done first thing and you don't have to think about it for the rest of the day! Apply that same principle to your burpees.
Even if you're splitting your burpees into sets (which you should probably do as the number creeps higher and higher), aim to at least do your first set soon after you wake up. That way, you get the ball rolling and give yourself an instant energy boost.
3. Post a Favorite Motivational Quote
What kind of quotes or mantras inspire you to be your best? Do you need tough love? (What doesn't kill you makes you stronger!) Or do you need some gently encouragement? (No matter how slow you're going, you're still lapping everyone on the couch.)
Find a quote you love and keep a reminder of it somewhere. Maybe you save an image from Pinterest or Instagram to use as your phone or computer background. Maybe you write it on a sticky note and keep it on your fridge, car dash or bulletin board (right next to your "why" from #1).
Need a little inspiration? Here are some popular ones:
- Nothing great was ever achieved without enthusiasm.
- It’s hard to beat a person who never gives up.
- It’s not whether you get knocked down, it’s whether you get up.
- Stop competing with others and start competing with yourself.
- Don't wish for it, work for it!
- If it doesn't challenge you, it doesn't change you.
- Do something today that your future self with thank you for.
- It's not about having time, it's about making time.
- Sore today. Strong tomorrow.
- I'm working on myself, for myself, by myself.
- Hustle for that muscle.
- Just do it!
4. Laugh It Off
For better or worse, complaining about something that's difficult brings people together. And what better to whine about than burpees? Just do a quick online search for "burpee meme" and be prepared to laugh until you cry (because, honestly, same).
Because what good is going through all the torture burpees bring if you can't at least laugh about it once it's over (and then share that laugh with a friend). Find a good one? Post it in our challenge Facebook group so we can all get a good chuckle.
5. Find a Support Community
You're not in this alone! Even if you live by yourself, there's a huge community of people in the same boat as you, ready and willing to support you and cheer your on to the end. It's the LIVESTRONG.COM Challenge Facebook Group, a group of 30,000+ members dedicated to bettering themselves, healthy living and supporting each other in the process.
And if online communities aren't your jam, find or create one IRL. Join a gym, go to a fitness class you love, find a running group or just ask friends, family and coworkers if they want to join you!
Want even more motivation? Follow LIVESTRONG.COM on Instagram.