Because they are lightweight and provide some incline, they can be used to increase resistance or add an element of instability. For example, you can place a yoga block under one hand when doing push-ups to improve your range of motion. Or incorporate a yoga block into up-down planks to ensure your back and hips stay in a straight line throughout the entire movement.
Mixing up your strength routine with different pieces of fitness equipment prevents plateaus and exercise boredom. When you give your body new challenges, it has to make adaptations to create results. So the next time you see your yoga block, think beyond the mat.
Here's a 20-minute strength workout to give you inspiration for new moves to add to your repertoire. Complete each exercise for the designated reps and repeat for four rounds.
Check out more of our 20-minute workouts here — we've got something for everyone.
20-Minute Yoga Block Strength Workout
Move 1: Elevated Squat
- Stand with your heels on the yoga block and your feet close together.
- With your chest proud and spine long, sit back into your hips and lower down into a squat (as low as your range of motion allows), keeping your weight in your heels.
- Drive through your toes and squeeze your glutes to stand back up.
Move 2: Staggered Push-Up
- Start in a high plank position and place one hand on the yoga block lying flat on the ground. Keep the other hand on the ground, making sure that both shoulders are stacked over the wrists.
- Tightening your core, quads and glutes, lower your chest toward the ground, bending your arms at 45 degrees from your torso. Be sure to keep your shoulders away from your ears.
- Push through your hands to come back up to a high plank. This is one rep.
- Complete six reps before alternating hands on the yoga block.
Move 3: Sumo Squat to Knee Lift
- Stand in a wide stance with one foot on the yoga block and the other foot on the ground.
- Keeping your chest proud and spine long, sit back into your hips and lower down into a squat (as low as your range of motion allows).
- Drive through your heels to stand back up.
- As you come up to stand, press your foot firmly on the yoga block as you lift the opposite knee until the thigh is parallel to the ground.
- Slowly bring your foot back down to return to the starting position. This is one rep. Complete 10 reps before switching legs on the yoga block.
Move 4: Chest Press Pulse
- Start standing with your feet hip-width apart and hold the yoga block close to your chest between your hands.
- Pressing your hands firmly into the yoga block and keeping your shoulders down away from your ears, press the block out in front of your chest.
- Pulse your arms out with the block between your hands, maintaining tension throughout the movement.
Move 5: Dead Bug
- Lie down on your back with your legs in tabletop position, and your arms extended toward the ceiling.
- Press the yoga block firmly into your thigh on one side of the body.
- On the opposite side of the body, extend your leg in front of you and bring your arm overhead. Brace your core by pulling your belly button toward your back.
- Slowly return your leg back to tabletop position, and your arm extended toward the ceiling.
- This is one rep. Complete 10 reps before switching sides with the yoga block.