Bridges can build way more than your butt, and this glute-bridge workout is proof.
Video of the Day
Crafted by personal trainer, April Whitney, CPT, it combines glute-bridge variations with other upper- and lower-body minutes for an all-over burn. All you need is a pair of dumbbells, a few feet of floor space and 20 minutes.
Check out more of our 20-minute workouts here — we’ve got something for everyone.
Try This 20-Minute Glute-Bridge Circuit
Do: each of these movements for 40 seconds, followed by a 20-second rest. Then, take a 60-second break and repeat the whole circuit four more times for a total of 20 minutes, Whitney says.
Move 1: Marching Glute Bridge With Dumbbell Hold
- Begin lying face-up with your feet flat on the floor, knees pointing up.
- Hold a single dumbbell by both ends straight over your chest.
- Press into your heels to raise your hips up toward the ceiling until you form a line from knees to hips to head.
- Raise your right foot a few inches off of the floor.
- Lower it back to the floor.
- Raise your left foot a few inches up. Then, put it back down.
- Repeat this marching motion for 40 seconds.
- Return to the starting position and bring the weight down.
- Rest for 20 seconds.
Keep your core braced as you perform this exercise in order to keep the dumbbell stable.
Move 2: Glute Bridge With Hamstring Walkout
- Begin in the glute-bridge position, feet flat and hips raised.
- Slowly step your right foot an inch or two farther away from your body.
- Step your left foot to meet your right.
- Continue alternating stepping your feet farther and farther away.
- When your knees are almost fully straight, reverse the motion to walk your feet back to the glute-bridge position.
Move 3: Frogger Hip Thrust to Crunch
- Begin lying on the ground, hands behind your head.
- Bring the bottoms of your feet together about a foot away from your butt.
- Press into your feet and squeeze your glutes as you raise your hips up toward the ceiling.
- Pause here for a moment.
- Come back to the ground.
- Perform a crunch, focus on raising through your core.
- Come back to the floor.
As you crunch, avoid pulling or yanking your neck forward with your hands. Come up as high as you can with control.
Move 4: Glute Bridge With Alternating Chest Press
- Begin lying on the floor with two dumbbells at chest level.
- Lift up into a glute bridge.
- Press the right dumbbell straight up above your chest.
- Bring the weight back to chest height.
- Press the left weight straight up.
- Alternate weights, holding the glute-bridge position.
Move 5: Single-Leg Glute Bridge to Russian Twist
- Start lying face-up on the floor, hands behind your head.
- Cross your left ankle over your right knee.
- Press up into a bridge, squeezing your glutes at the top.
- Lower back to the ground.
- Come into a Russian twist toward the left, reaching your right elbow toward the right knee.
- Switch sides and repeat.