Sous vide egg bites are a popular menu item at Starbucks, but there are plenty of varieties you can enjoy outside of the green mermaid's quarters.
What we love about egg bites is that they pack in all the nutritional benefits of eggs, plus extra fiber, protein and other nutrients depending on the veggie and meat additions they include. Egg bites also tend to be a healthy breakfast that's lower in carbohydrates, and they'll keep you full for longer thanks to their protein punch.
All of this means they fit into a handful of eating plans, including low-carb, keto and the Mediterranean diet. Plus, many brands offer vegetarian flavors and gluten-free options. Clearly, they're a slam dunk for breakfast, but they also make for a quick and easy snack.
Try these different egg bites — some packed with cheese and veggies and some with breakfast meats — from a variety of retailers.
1. Trader Joe’s Uncured Turkey Bacon & Cheese Sous Vide Egg Bites
- Per serving: 340 calories, 25 grams fat (15 grams saturated fat), 540 milligrams sodium, 7 grams carbohydrates (0 grams fiber, 5 grams sugar, 0 grams added sugar), 21 grams protein
You can always count on Trader Joe's to jump on a healthy, popular food trend — and sous vide egg bites are no exception. You'll find these in the refrigerated food section, alongside the other egg products.
Buy it: Trader Joe’s stores; Price: $3.49
2. Whole Foods Egg Bites, Uncured Ham & Gruyere Cheese
- Per serving: 250 calories, 20 grams fat (12 grams saturated fat), 330 milligrams sodium, 2 grams carbohydrates (0 grams fiber, 1 grams sugar, 0 grams added sugar), 17 grams protein
Whole Foods Market is another grocery retailer that got the egg bite memo. Look for these very low-carb bites in the frozen food section, though. If you'd prefer egg whites only, look for their Egg White Bites Spinach Basil & Feta flavor.
Buy it: Whole Foods stores; Price: $2.99
3. Nellie’s Free Range Sous Vide Egg Bites, Broccoli + Cheddar
- Per serving: 90 calories, 7 grams fat (3.5 grams saturated fat), 200 milligrams sodium, 1 gram carbohydrates (0 grams fiber, 0 grams sugar), 7 grams protein
This particular flavor is particularly family-friendly, says Chris Mohr, PhD, of MohrResults.com — his kids are huge fans. Also, if sustainability is important to you, know that "Nellie's Free Range Sous Vide Egg Bites are the first and only Certified Humane egg bites in the country," Mohr says. The brand offers two other flavors, too: Uncured Bacon + Pepper Jack and Uncured Ham + Swiss.
Buy it: Acmemarkets.com; Price: $3.99
4. Vital Farms Pasture-Raised Egg Bites, Roasted Red Pepper & Mozzarella Cheese
- Per serving: 210 calories, 14 grams fat (6 grams saturated fat), 310 milligrams sodium, 7 grams carbohydrates (1 gram fiber, 3 grams sugar, 0 grams added sugar), 16 grams protein
With just roasted red peppers as well as mozzarella and ricotta cheeses, these egg bites are vegetarian-friendly. Vital Farms also makes three other flavors: Uncured Bacon & Cheddar Cheese; Uncured Ham, Bell Peppers, Onions & Cheddar; and Sun-Dried Tomato, Basil & Mozzarella Cheese.
Buy it: Amazon.com; Price: $4.49
5. Three Bridges Mushroom & Asiago Egg Bites
- Per serving: 290 calories, 21 grams fat (11 grams saturated fat), 310 milligrams sodium, 3 grams carbohydrates (1 gram fiber, 1 gram sugar, 0 grams added sugar), 16 grams protein
These mini-muffin-shaped bites include mushrooms, four different types of cheese and some rosemary. Look for the brand's four other flavors: Uncured Bacon & Cheese; Bell Pepper & Cheese; Country-Style Sausage. Three Bridges also sells an egg white bite, which is called Spinach & Bell Pepper Egg White Bites.
Buy it: Instacart.com; Price: $3.99
6. Three Little Pigs Sous-Vide Egg Bites, Uncured Bacon & Swiss
- Per serving: 120 calories, 9 grams fat (4.5 grams saturated fat), 170 milligrams sodium, grams carbohydrates (0 grams fiber, 0 grams sugar), 8 grams protein
Important to keep in mind: One serving of Three Little Pigs' egg bites is just a single egg, whereas most other brands are for two egg bites. The brand makes a handful of other delicious flavors, including Breakfast Sausage & Cheddar, Spinach & Feta, Mushroom & Swiss, Proscuitto & Gruyere. You can also try their egg white version: Egg Whites Bites with Broccoli & Parmesan.
Buy it: Amazon.com; Price: $1.99
7. Life Cuisine Egg Bites, Tomato & Spinach Egg White
- Per serving: 190 calories, 9 grams fat (5 grams saturated fat), 610 milligrams sodium, 12 grams carbohydrates (0 grams fiber, 1 gram sugar, 0 grams added sugar), 15 grams protein
Life Cuisine makes its egg bites with egg whites — whereas other brands seem to mostly use whole eggs. As a result, these tomato- and spinach-infused bites are lower in calories yet still offer an impressive 15 grams of protein for two bites. You might also like the Uncured Turkey Bacon & Aged White Cheddar variety.
Buy it: Target.com; Price: $3.79
8. Hormel Black Label Oven-Baked Egg Bites, Eggs, Chorizo Sausage & 3 Cheeses
- Per serving: 250 calories, 19 grams fat (9 grams saturated fat), 580 milligrams sodium, 6 grams carbohydrates (0 grams fiber, 3 grams sugar, 0 grams added sugar), 14 grams protein
These sous vide egg bites get a special flavor from the addition of chorizo, and this particular flavor also has the least amount of sodium. If chorizo isn't for you, Hormel makes two other flavors: Bacon & 3 Cheeses and Sausage, Bacon & 3 Cheeses.
Buy it: Instacart.com; Price: $4.59