NordicTrack treadmills are built to last, but it's best to be prepared in case something malfunctions. There are many reasons why your treadmill won't start. Fortunately, many glitches involving the controls on the console can be solved relatively quickly with some simple NordicTrack treadmill troubleshooting steps.
Video of the Day
Although the steps vary slightly depending on which model you own, the basic troubleshooting process is similar for all NordicTrack treadmills.
Here are some ways you can troubleshoot NordicTrack console problems.
If your treadmill controls aren't working, make sure it's plugged into a working outlet. Other issues might require you to adjust the reed switch or re-calibrate the machine.
NordicTrack Treadmill Troubleshooting: No Power to the Console
If the built-in console or the iFit app on your machine has stopped working, doing a factory reset on your treadmill may help resolve the issue, according to NordicTrack. Note that factory resets are only available on machines with the latest version of the consoles (7.1 and up), so check your settings. For example, you won't be able to do a factory reset if you own a treadmill with a USB or HDMI port.
How Do I Reset My NordicTrack Treadmill?
- Turn off the power on your treadmill by flipping the power switch off. If you're not sure where the power switch is, refer to your owner's manual.
- Find the pinhole, which will likely be on the sides of the machine or on the back of your console. Refer to your owner's manual if you have trouble locating it.
- Insert a paper clip into the pinhole and press it down. As you're doing this, have another person turn the power back on. You should see your screen turn on, then you can remove the paper clip.
- On the screen, the iFit logo should pop up, as well as a message that says, "system recovery: please wait...," in blue. If you don't see this blue text, then redo the reset. But if you see the blue text, it may take up to 30 minutes before the onboarding process starts.
- If it has been over 30 minutes, reset the machine again.
- Once your machine is rebooted, you'll be prompted to connect to your Wi-Fi network. From there, your machine will be updated with the latest software.
- After the updates have been made, log into your iFit account, and you can start using your machine.
Why Is My Treadmill Screen Not Working?
One of the most common reasons your treadmill console won't turn on or stops working is because it's a new machine, or it was recently moved, which may have caused one or more of the wires to become disconnected, according to NordicTrack. That said, there are a few things you can try to troubleshoot the issue without digging into the wires.
- Make sure that the safety key is attached to the console. The treadmill won't work if the safety key is removed.
- Ensure that the treadmill is plugged into an electrical outlet that has been properly installed. You can check if the outlet is working by plugging in another device.
- If there was a recent power surge or the circuit breaker was tripped, you may need to reset it or reset the outlet by hitting the reset button.
- Once the safety key is attached and the treadmill is plugged into a working outlet, turn the machine on. If you have trouble locating the power switch, check your owner's manual.
- Standing on the floor next to the treadmill, press the console buttons without turning on the screen. If your treadmill doesn't have buttons on the console, press the buttons on the handlebars instead to make sure they are receiving power.
- If your treadmill screen still isn't working and you suspect that there's a wiring issue, turn off the machine and unplug it from the outlet before removing the protective covers. Refer to your owner's manual for the assembly instructions to ensure that all the connecting wires aren't damaged or disconnected. You can press the wire connectors together to make sure they're properly connected. If any of the wires are worn, submit a customer service request about how to replace them.
Why Is My NordicTrack Treadmill Incline Not Working?
If your treadmill doesn't seem to respond when you adjust the incline or the screen isn't working, make sure that the machine's power cord is plugged in and that the power is on. If the incline still doesn't work, then shut off the machine and unplug it to inspect the wires, per NordicTrack.
You may also try recalibrating your machine's incline. There may be slightly different processes, depending on what type of machine you have. But if you have a standard console, go to your settings on the menu and choose "calibrate the incline." Do not use the treadmill while the incline is recalibrating.
During the calibration, the treadmill will move from one extreme of the incline range to the other extreme before returning to the starting position. In case you need to stop the calibration, remove the safety key from the console or unplug the machine.
Another option is to turn off the machine and unplug it, then wait for a few minutes before plugging it back in and turning the machine back on. Then, you can try doing a workout by adjusting the incline.
If the incline reset doesn't work, you can try inspecting the wiring. To do this, turn off the machine and unplug it from the outlet. Then, check the wires to make sure that they haven't been disconnected. If you're still experiencing issues, chat with a representative or submit a request.
Other Common Issues With NordicTrack Equipment
NordicTrack provides basic maintenance tips for simple problems that you can troubleshoot on your own. If you need additional help for other common issues with NordicTrack equipment — C1800, Exp 1000 or the elliptical — chat online with a representative, submit a request or type a question on the NordicTrack help website for articles on troubleshooting.