The Cancer Risk of Microwave Popcorn

Boys sharing popcorn
young boys eating popcorn (Image: Jupiterimages/Pixland/Getty Images)

You might have heard recently that microwave popcorn isn't safe because it contains chemicals that can increase your risk of cancer. The most common rumor is that it is associated with lung cancer, but in reality, there's no direct link. There is a minor link, however, between microwave popcorn and certain other cancers.

Cancer Risk

While there's no truth to the rumor that microwave popcorn contains chemicals proven to cause lung cancer, there is a chemical used in the nonstick coating on the inside of the popcorn bags that decomposes, producing a compound called perfluorooctanoic acid. This chemical has been associated with increased risk of certain cancers, including liver and prostate cancer. Dr. Frank Gilliland and colleagues reported in a 1993 article in the "Journal of Occupational Medicine" that factory workers exposed to the chemical had increased cancer mortality.

Lung Disease

Though not a type of cancer, there's a lung disease that's also associated with microwave popcorn. A chemical called diacetyl, used in the flavoring agent added to microwave popcorn, increases rates of an otherwise relatively rare lung condition called bronchiolitis obliterans in factory workers, notes Dr. Frits van Rooy and colleagues in a 2007 article in "Respiratory and Critical Care Medicine." The lung condition results from scarring of small airways in response to chemical irritants, and makes breathing difficult.

Reducing Risk

You can't do much about your exposure to perfluorooctanoic acid if you use pop-in-bag microwave popcorn, though you won't be exposed to the chemical if you choose to use free-kernel corn in an microwave popping apparatus. Diacetyl, on the other hand, has a boiling point somewhat below that of water. Your exposure to inhaled diacetyl is greatest when the popcorn is hottest, meaning if you allow your popcorn to cool before you open it, you'll breathe less of the chemical.

General Guidelines

Generally speaking, even if you don't let your popcorn cool before you open the bag, you're not likely to suffer ill health effects from eating reasonable quantities of microwave popcorn. The studies that have demonstrated harm as a result of chemical exposure have been in cases of factory workers who are exposed to much larger quantities of the chemicals over a much longer period than you would be, preparing and consuming microwave popcorn at home.

REFERENCES & RESOURCES
Load comments
PARTNER & LICENSEE OF THE LIVESTRONG FOUNDATION

Copyright © 2019 Leaf Group Ltd. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the LIVESTRONG.COM Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Copyright Policy. The material appearing on LIVESTRONG.COM is for educational use only. It should not be used as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. LIVESTRONG is a registered trademark of the LIVESTRONG Foundation. The LIVESTRONG Foundation and LIVESTRONG.COM do not endorse any of the products or services that are advertised on the web site. Moreover, we do not select every advertiser or advertisement that appears on the web site-many of the advertisements are served by third party advertising companies.