Gold Member Badge


  • You're all caught up!

What Is LipoSan Ultra Chitosan?

author image Allison Adams
Allison Adams has worked as a registered dietitian since 1996. She began writing professionally in 2000, with work featured in a variety of medical publications such as "Women's Health Magazine" and the "New England Journal of Medicine." Adams holds a Master of Science in nutrition and food sciences from the University of Wisconsin-Madison.
What Is LipoSan Ultra Chitosan?
A group of three shells on a white counter. Photo Credit: pandemin/iStock/Getty Images

Chitosan is a natural product made from chitin, a polysaccharide found in the exoskeleton or the shells of crustaceans such as crabs, shrimps, lobsters and clams. When applied to weight loss, chitosan attaches to fats and oils and helps your body eliminate the fats and oils as waste before your body can absorb the fat. LipoSan Ultra is a brand of chitosan. According to the manufacturer of LipoSan Ultra, the product features patented technology that increases the density of regular chitosan and makes it work faster than regular chitosan to remove fats and oils from your system. If you're thinking of using LipoSan Ultra as a dietary supplement, you should speak with your doctor first.

Video of the Day

How It Works

According to the manufacturer, LipoSan Ultra takes less than five minutes to dissolve in your stomach. Therefore, you should take this supplement immediately before eating a meal. It takes approximately two hours after consuming LipoSan Ultra for the chitosan to reach your small intestine and start to bind fats together. Your body can not absorb the fat bound by LipoSan Ultra. Therefore, your body will remove the fat bound by LipoSan through waste.

Ingredients and Dosage

LipoSan Ultra contains 90 percent chitosan. The remaining 10 percent of the product contains other ingredients including succinic acid. Succinic acid helps your body absorb LipoSan Utra faster. According to the manufacturer, the recommended dose of Liposan Ultra is four to eight capsules per day taken in equal doses before meals with an 8-oz. glass of water. If you also take fat-soluble vitamins, you should take these vitamins at least four hours before taking LipoSan Ultra because the product can hamper the absorption of fat-soluble vitamins.


If you have allergies to any crustaceans, you should not take this product. If you have an allergy and you take this product, you could go into anaphylactic shock, a life-threatening condition. If you experience an allergic reaction such as hives, swelling or trouble breathing after consuming LipoSan Ultra, get emergency medical attention.

Many Uses of Chitosan

Chitosan has additional uses as a detoxifying agent. You can spread chitosan over bodies of water to absorb oils, grease, heavy metals and toxic materials from the water. Additionally, farmers and botanists use chitosan protect plants from fungus. Herbalists also commonly use chitosan under bandages to speed the healing of skin tissue. Chitosan has antibacterial properties and can also inhibit tooth decay and plaque.

LiveStrong Calorie Tracker
Lose Weight. Feel Great! Change your life with MyPlate by LIVESTRONG.COM
  • Gain 2 pounds per week
  • Gain 1.5 pounds per week
  • Gain 1 pound per week
  • Gain 0.5 pound per week
  • Maintain my current weight
  • Lose 0.5 pound per week
  • Lose 1 pound per week
  • Lose 1.5 pounds per week
  • Lose 2 pounds per week
  • Female
  • Male
ft. in.


Demand Media