Splashing a little bit of bleach on your skin probably won’t cause you any pain unless you’ve got a cut or open wound. Bleach will begin drying out your skin on contact, so it’s important to wash the chemicals off as soon as possible. Constant exposure to bleach can make you skin extremely dry, scaly, red and sensitive, according to Peter Helton, medical director of the Helton Skin and Laser Institute in Newport Beach, California.
Wash the affected area with clear water for 15 to 20 minutes. Splash fresh water gently against the skin and brush the area gently with your hand or a soft cloth. Don’t scrub the area.
Continue washing the skin if, after 20 minutes of washing, you feel a slime-like texture on your skin where the bleach spilled. Keep refreshing the water to avoid washing the area in water contaminated with bleach.
Pat the skin dry after completely clearing the skin of bleach. Skin may feel unusually dry in the area touched by bleach.
Apply a shielding lotion to your skin in the affected area. Unlike regular hand creams and oils, shielding lotions are formulated to be absorbed into the top layer of your skin. This will moisturize and seal your skin so you don’t lose additional moisture from the bleached area.
Things You'll Need
Bleach is corrosive. Do not get it in your eyes or on clothing. Call a physician immediately if your skin cracks, bleeds or blisters after contact with bleach.