Chicken biryani is a Pakistani and Northern Indian dish. It combines rich seasonings with chicken and rice in a yogurt-based marinade. The resulting texture is creamy and delicate although a lot of spices and aromatics are used.
Although there are several steps, the dish isn't too difficult. Once all the steps are completed and the ingredients combined, the biryani bakes in the oven for an hour. Serve the biryani with cool, crisp garnishes such as cucumber slices and a salad for a contrast with the creamy, succulent biryani.
Video of the Day
Things You'll Need
Spices (cloves, peppercorns, cardamom, cinnamon, cumin and mace)
Aromatics (garlic, ginger and onions)
Oven-proof skillet or Dutch oven with lid
- Remove the chicken skin and cut the chicken into serving pieces. Cut each breast half in two pieces. Pat the chicken dry with paper towels.
- Dry-roast the spices such as cloves, peppercorns, cardamom, cinnamon, cumin and mace by stirring them in a dry frying pan until they are lightly browned.
- Grind them in a spice or coffee grinder.
- Peel and chops the aromatics such as garlic, ginger and onions.
- Put the aromatics, toasted and ground spices, salt and some lemon juice into a blender and blend into a smooth paste.
- Stir the paste into the yogurt the recipe calls for.
- Marinate the chicken in the paste for two hours in the refrigerator in a covered bowl.
- Preheat the oven to 300 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Heat the oil called for in the recipe in a large skillet or Dutch oven.
- Transfer the chicken and the marinade to the skillet or Dutch oven.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, lower the heat and simmer, covered, for 15 minutes.
- Remove the lid and simmer a little longer to reduce the marinade to a paste. It's done when most of the liquid has evaporated and the oil begins to separate from the marinade.
- Layer steamed rice, any other seasonings called for in your recipe and any liquids such as tomatoes and their liquid over the chicken. There should be enough liquid to barely cover the other ingredients.
- Cover the skillet or Dutch oven with the lid and bake at 300 degrees Fahrenheit for one hour.