How to Kill Ringworm With Bleach

Ringworm is a highly contagious fungal infection that develops on the top layer of skin. It has nothing to do with an actual worm; the name comes from the circular lesion that develops at the site of infection. Symptoms of ringworm include itching and redness. Other forms of fungal infection closely related to ringworm impact other areas of the body. Treatment usually requires an oral or topical anti-fungal medication. Home treatment may be attempted using liquid bleach, but there are risks associated with applying bleach to the skin.

Step 1

Dilute liquid bleach in a clean glass or container with equal parts bleach and water. Take care not to spill or drip the strong solution.

Step 2

Dip a cotton ball or swab into the solution. Gently dab the ringworm area with the solution. Avoid the surrounding skin. Allow the area to dry.

Step 3

Do not rinse the bleach solution from the area unless you feel discomfort.

Step 4

Wash the area with warm soap and water the next day and administer another application of the bleach solution. Wait until the next day to see if the ringworm is gone. If the bleach treatment does not work, contact your doctor or purchase an over-the-counter anti-fungal cream that is safe for ringworm treatment.

Step 5

Consult your veterinarian before applying a bleach mixture to an animal. Some animals may not tolerate the mixture or could suffer serious health problems from the bleach.

Things You'll Need

  • Liquid bleach

  • Water

  • Empty glass or container

  • Cotton swabs or balls

Warning

Liquid bleach is a potent chemical that can be hazardous to your health. The manufacturer recommends using soap and water to remove bleach on the skin, as it can cause harmful reactions. Using liquid bleach to treat ringworm does not adhere to the warnings and precautions listed on the bottle.

REFERENCES & RESOURCES
Load Comments
PARTNER & LICENSEE OF THE LIVESTRONG FOUNDATION

Copyright © 2019 Leaf Group Ltd. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the LIVESTRONG.COM Terms of Use , Privacy Policy and Copyright Policy . The material appearing on LIVESTRONG.COM is for educational use only. It should not be used as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. LIVESTRONG is a registered trademark of the LIVESTRONG Foundation. The LIVESTRONG Foundation and LIVESTRONG.COM do not endorse any of the products or services that are advertised on the web site. Moreover, we do not select every advertiser or advertisement that appears on the web site-many of the advertisements are served by third party advertising companies.