Allergic Reactions to Nicotine Patches

quit smoking
Nicotine patches can be dangerous to some people. (Image: choness/iStock/Getty Images)

Nicotine patches can help you kick the cigarette habit and abandon smoking forever. When you’re trying to quit smoking, nicotine patches can help ease withdrawal symptoms such as headaches, cravings, irritability and difficulty concentrating. Despite being helpful, the patches can also cause a number of side effects, including allergic reactions.

Allergic to Adhesive

Some people might be allergic to the adhesive used to keep the patch stuck to the skin. If you have sensitive skin, try applying the patch on different areas until you find one that doesn’t react to the adhesive. Although the upper arm is a popular area for the patch, you don’t have to apply it there. Try your upper thigh, your hip or your chest to see if your skin in those areas reacts better.

Allergic to Nicotine

If you’re already a smoker, chances are you’re not allergic to nicotine. The patch can cause you to absorb too much nicotine at once, which in turn could cause an allergic reaction. A common reason this happens is when people use the patch but keep smoking. Nicotine patches come in different strengths, so if you’re still smoking, tell your doctor so he can recommend the proper dosage. According to NetDoctor, you could absorb more nicotine than normal from the patch if you exercise. Exercising opens up the pores, so you might end up with more nicotine than expected in your blood.

Signs of a Skin Reaction

The most common signs of an allergic reaction are redness, itchiness and swelling of the area around the patch. Sometimes a rash develops on the arms or other parts of the body, even areas that are not close to the patch itself.

Serious Allergic Reactions

More serious allergic reactions can cause difficulty breathing or swelling of the throat or mouth. These could be dangerous, so consult your doctor right away if you experience breathing difficulties or if the allergic reaction gets worse over the course of hours or days. Wheezing, hives and difficulty swallowing are also signs of a serious allergic reaction.

REFERENCES & RESOURCES
Comments
PARTNER & LICENSEE OF THE LIVESTRONG FOUNDATION

Copyright © 2018 Leaf Group Ltd. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the LIVESTRONG.COM Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Copyright Policy. The material appearing on LIVESTRONG.COM is for educational use only. It should not be used as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. LIVESTRONG is a registered trademark of the LIVESTRONG Foundation. The LIVESTRONG Foundation and LIVESTRONG.COM do not endorse any of the products or services that are advertised on the web site. Moreover, we do not select every advertiser or advertisement that appears on the web site-many of the advertisements are served by third party advertising companies.