Eating Foods to Treat a Yeast Infection

Chilled Cranberry Juice
A small glass of cranberry juice. (Image: HandmadePictures/iStock/Getty Images)

Vaginal yeast infections are caused by an overgrowth of harmful bacteria known as candidas. This bacteria thrives in dark moist environments and causes irritation of the affected skin along with itching and burning. Home treatment can be very helpful in the early stages of a yeast infection. There are foods that can help cure yeast infections within a few days to a few weeks. This is an ideal alternative to over-the-counter and prescription creams and pills.

Step 1

Introduce garlic into your diet. Garlic is a natural antibiotic and inhibits bacterial growth in the intestinal tract and vagina. Along with inhibiting bacterial growth, the antibiotic properties fight and destroy bad bacteria such as candida, while leaving intact the good bacteria necessary for healthy system functions.

Step 2

Consume one serving of yogurt daily. Yogurt contains good bacteria needed for vaginal health and these bacteria will fight off candida bacteria, helping rid you of your yeast infection within days.

Step 3

Eat foods rich in vitamin C. Vitamin C inhibits growth of candidas and kills off existent bacteria in the vagina and intestines by providing an acidic environment. Acidity counteracts the alkaline environment required for candida bacterial survival. Drinking cranberry and orange juices will also provide enough vitamin C to help.

Step 4

Avoid foods that contain high amounts of sugars and fermented foods. These foods include bread, caffeine, chocolate, and vinegars. These foods increase the amount of candidas bacteria in the intestines, causing irritation and infection in the vaginal canal and outer vagina.

REFERENCES & RESOURCES
Load comments
PARTNER & LICENSEE OF THE LIVESTRONG FOUNDATION

Copyright © 2019 Leaf Group Ltd. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the LIVESTRONG.COM Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Copyright Policy. The material appearing on LIVESTRONG.COM is for educational use only. It should not be used as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. LIVESTRONG is a registered trademark of the LIVESTRONG Foundation. The LIVESTRONG Foundation and LIVESTRONG.COM do not endorse any of the products or services that are advertised on the web site. Moreover, we do not select every advertiser or advertisement that appears on the web site-many of the advertisements are served by third party advertising companies.