Xyience energy drinks are low-calorie, sugar-free beverages that contain stimulants to promote alertness and delay fatigue. Although Xyience energy drinks are marketed for improving sports performance, they may also help you lose weight, as some Xyience ingredients have potential weight loss benefits. However, there may be side effects. Consult a doctor prior to using any supplements or energy drinks.
A 16 oz. can of Xyience energy drink has no calories. Substituting a can of Xyience in place of a soft drink or high-calorie beverage may help you lose weight. For example, 16 oz. of soda provides 220 calories. If you regularly drink 16 oz. of soda each day, replacing that soda with a Xyience energy drink saves you 1,540 calories each week.
Caffeine is a stimulant that increases feelings of wakefulness and enhances mental awareness. Research from the July 2005 issue of the journal "Obesity Research" indicates that consumption of caffeine may help reduce your weight because it can increase your metabolic rate and suppress the action of leptin, a hormone involved in regulating appetite.
Taurine is an amino acid naturally found in protein-rich foods. Amino acids are used to build and maintain muscle and other tissues in your body, but some may also aid in weight loss. A study published in the August 2010 issue of the "International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism" found that consumption of taurine increased the rate of fat oxidization during exercise.
Carnitine is another amino acid contained in Xyience energy drinks. As with other amino acids, carnitine promoes muscle protein synthesis, but carnitine also appears to have unique hormonal benefits. A study from the July 2006 issue of the journal "Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise" found that consumption of carnitine increased the testosterone response associated with exercise. Testosterone promotes muscle building, and research from the June 2009 issue of the "Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism" found that increased testosterone levels reduce body fat.
- "Journal of Clinical Endocrinology and Metabolism"; Testosterone and Growth Hormone Improve Body Composition and Muscle Performance in Older Men; F.R. Sattler et al.; June 2009
- LIVESTRONG.COM MyPlate: Calories in Mountain Dew
- PubMed Health: Tips For Losing Weight
- "Obesity Research"; Body Weight Loss and Weight Maintenance in relation to Habitual Caffeine Intake and Green Tea Supplementation; M.S. Westerterp-Plantenga, M.P. Lejeune, E.M. Kovacks; July 2005
- "International Journal of Sport Nutrition and Exercise Metabolism"; The Effect of Acute Taurine Ingestion on Endurance Performance and Metabolism in Well-Trained Cyclists; J.A. Rutherford, L.L. Spriet, T. Stellinwerff; August 2010
- "Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise"; Androgenic Responses to Resistance Exercise: Effects of Feeding L-Carnitine; W.J. Kraemer et al.; July 2006