How Can I Make a Whey Protein Supplement at Home?

Black shaker in heap of chocolate protein powder
A large pile of whey with a scoop in the background. (Image: CobraCZ/iStock/Getty Images)

A healthy, well-balanced diet should include protein, which is essential for the building, repairing and maintenance of muscle tissues. For people who have difficultly consuming adequate amounts of or the right types of protein-rich foods, it may be necessary to use supplements such as whey protein. Whey protein is one of the most commonly used supplements because the body tends to absorb whey faster than other supplemental forms. Whey protein supplements can be conveniently made and consumed in your home with the right ingredients.

Step 1

Purchase milk and milk products such as yogurt, cottage cheese and buttermilk. Whey protein is a high-quality complete protein that is present in most dairy products. Milk consists of 27 percent protein overall with 80 percent derived from casein and the other 20 percent from whey. Cottage cheese is made by separating cheese from its water, which is high in whey proteins. For this reason, the water should not be discarded and instead used while cooking other foods such as soups and stews as a broth or in gravy.

Step 2

Place a small strainer over a small bowl or empty container.

Step 3

Put a cheesecloth over and into the strainer. If you don't have a cheesecloth, substitute use a double-lined paper towel instead.

Step 4

Pour a container of yogurt over the cloth into the strainer. Cover with a plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator overnight or for at least eight hours to set properly.

Step 5

Take the container out of the fridge the next morning and remove the plastic wrap. The hardened white substance in the strainer will be similar to cheese and is often referred to as yogurt cheese. The bowl or container you used will contain a yellow substance that is the whey protein.

Tip

Refrigerate your whey product and use it within one to two days.

Warning

Be aware if you have any allergies to whey or milk products or are lactose intolerant. Consider other non-dairy sources of protein to supplement your diet needs.

REFERENCES & RESOURCES
Load comments
PARTNER & LICENSEE OF THE LIVESTRONG FOUNDATION

Copyright © 2019 Leaf Group Ltd. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of the LIVESTRONG.COM Terms of Use, Privacy Policy and Copyright Policy. The material appearing on LIVESTRONG.COM is for educational use only. It should not be used as a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. LIVESTRONG is a registered trademark of the LIVESTRONG Foundation. The LIVESTRONG Foundation and LIVESTRONG.COM do not endorse any of the products or services that are advertised on the web site. Moreover, we do not select every advertiser or advertisement that appears on the web site-many of the advertisements are served by third party advertising companies.