One of the oldest systems of medicine is India's traditional system of Ayurveda, which has been handed down by word of mouth and through ancient texts. The Ayurvedic medical system emphasizes the use of herbs to improve health and treat ailments and diseases (1). A sore throat typically results from a viral infection, like a cold, flu or sinus infection. You may experience throat pain and have difficulty swallowing (2).
Video of the Day
To reduce the pain of a sore throat and kill bacteria causing it, there are a couple different herbal liquid solutions you can make at home and gargle them. Add to a glass of hot water a half teaspoon of powdered black pepper, a teaspoon of salt, and a half teaspoon of powdered cinnamon. Let the ingredients steep in the water until it becomes warm before gargling. Do this remedy twice a day until your sore throat goes away (2). Turmeric is a root herb known for reducing inflammation. A throat inflamed by infection causes pain and difficulty swallowing. Mix half a cup of warm water with a teaspoon of salt and a quarter teaspoon of turmeric powder. Gargle this as needed to treat throat pain (3).
HomeVeda.com recommends drinking an Ayurvedic tonic for sore throat by combining a tablespoon of lemon juice, half a teaspoon of powdered black pepper and half a teaspoon of salt. Mix and heat this until it's warm. Take this once a day until your sore throat goes away (2).
REFERENCES & RESOURCES
- National Center for Complementary and Alternative Medicine: Ayurvedic Medicine: An Introduction
- Home Veda: Natural Ayurvedic Home Remedies for Sore Throat
- Ayurveda-Holistic-Medicine.com: The Best Natural Remedy for Sore Throat
- University of Maryland Medical Center: Ayurveda
- University of Maryland Medical Center: Sore Throat Overview
- University of Maryland Medical Center: Licorice